Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Lightning Within

Greetings in Gratitude!

Our building was struck by lightning at 3:30 this morning, setting off fire alarms and waking me from a sound sleep with quite a jolt. It struck on my end of the building, though so far no one has determined if any damage was done. The firemen came, of course, and staff arrived, keys in hand to shut off the alarm, but the system was damaged and could not be reset. Brian, our maintenance man, used the perfect remedy - duct tape - to hold the silence button in place, and we returned to our homes in hopes of more sleep. Ah, I hear foot-steps on the roof now, so will find out later what they found, if anything.

Waking with all these thoughts, Lao Tsu was walking with me as I made my coffee, and I invited his words if he has anything to say this morning. And so he does:

"Nature is a curious thing. It lives in you and it provides the environment in which you live. You cannot have lightning outside unless you have it within as well. Earthquakes, volcanoes, rivers and mountains, deserts and oceans, all in microscopic replication within you. You carry the planet and it carries you. All are born of the same stuff. Think, then, how you must also carry the genetic code of all other human beings within you. None are apart, none separate. Hate no one, resist nothing. You are only resisting yourself."

As I contemplate these words, it also occurs to me that if we are conflict with ourselves over one thing or another that we do not like, we are also sharing that conflict with the planet. So we are a part of the chaos we shun and fear. To be a peace with self is to contribute to the peace the planet is striving to achieve in this new age of Earth.

Until next time,
I am Phyllis, Becoming

No comments: