Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A Tribute to Blue

This post is to honor an old and dear friend, Blue.
He had a brave heart and a spirit that connected deeply with those he loved.
I was blessed to be one of those people.
I was not of his home family, but somehow he let me know I was adopted.

He was a very big, black dog, I think a blend of lab and chesapeake.
He was fierce in defense of his home and gentle in his spirit.
When on the phone with my sister, I could hear him nearby, his big chest
heaving with happy, expectant panting. He loved deeply and retrieved like a champion.

On his last day, he insisted on going swimming with Judith. His severe heart disease
would not deter him. And so they swam, she says, he looking at her, questioning,
when the rain fell hard, out on the lake, just the two of them. And they swam.

Then quietly alone in the night as dogs do, his spirit returned to the Great
Mystery called Dog, leaving us to grieve our loss and to celebrate his life.
Thank you, Blue, for all you gave us. When the time is right, your spirit,
so big, so strong, will find its way back to this family who loves you so.

No comments: