Saturday, July 10, 2010

On Being Authentic

Greetings in Gratitude!

Learning to live an authentic life, intentionally, turns out to be a really big deal. And you may have discovered, too, that asserting this intention produces perfect opportunities to hone our skills. Oh, yes, I am grateful, and delighted at how efficient we are, while noting the irony.

A woman I've not worked with previously called for a session this week. She is, herself, a trained psychic, and is very clear about achieving a specific goal in her session. Although I don't know the details, and prefer not to, this conversation raised flags for me. Working with other "psychics" is a treat for me. They are often very open and clear, and we have a great time. So this was not the challenge. But still, I was not at ease about it. This morning I realized she is my opportunity for authentic action.

Whenever we have a challenge explaining who we are, someone will come along to help us clarify our identity. As I usually do, I explained that I do not apply psychic bandaids in projections and predictions; that I am not a traditional psychic but work with folks on the human condition and understanding ourselves better. I said all the things I have learned to say about myself to help folks decide whether I am the person with whom they want to work on their agenda.

And this morning I realized that I was giving her the power to decide, and that I have been doing this for some time with new contacts. This is not authentic. This kind of conversation only confuses a situation with a new person. I have been giving away my power in the belief that the client has the right to decide whether I will work with them. Certainly, the potential client has rights, and that person has exercised those rights by calling me. Then it is my responsibility to attune myself to them while still on the phone and decide whether I choose the exchange. Listening to what the person feels they need, breathing deeply and accepting the appointment, or not, based on my sense of the possibility for an authentic exchange, I choose.

I will call the woman, my teacher it turns out, and cancel the appointment. Perhaps there is something of value I can offer in an email. But an appointment under these circumstances would be uncomfortable for me and most probably not produce what she seeks. She has her own answers, and if I can assist in her accessing that Wisdom then I will be happy to do so. In this instance, an appointment would create an artificial stage that precludes a satisfying outcome.

I am a teacher. I have expanded my consciousness to develop skills everyone has. I love to facilitate an exchange in consciousness in which the client realizes how wise they are and have always been. And I am happy to share information from those in Spirit to support my clients in whatever may serve them best. I am grateful to this woman for expanding my Wisdom in becoming authentic. Identifying myself is not explaining myself. I deserve to work with ease, and today I am more certain of this than I have ever been. Breathing, I am at peace.

Until next time, Breathing with you,
I am Phyllis, Still Becoming

No comments: