Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Service with Honor

Greetings and Blessings!

Good Morning to all of you, whatever time of day you may visit this site. I woke this morning dreaming about President Obama and his family, and I was surprised again, as I realized the messages of the dream, that I had not acknowledged Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday yesterday.

Yesterday was a busy day, beginning with heartfelt exchanges with two partners in Spirit, and continuing with a perfect shopping trip with Mom (she saved more than she spent at Penny's - don't you just love it!). Every clerk was a joyful gift in service, every purchase a perfect answer to a need. Shopping with a low-vision person gives me fresh perspective, and so she serves me.

Service is my theme today. The dream this morning had President Obama and his family on high alert status following a threat on the president's life, but that was not the message. His focus on his family was the theme and his ease in handling the situation. And it was Mrs. Obama's focus on the girls: "Take them to a secure room and feed them breakfast, please." Wearing their public roles with such ease struck me as service beyond the obvious.

How do we serve? But perhaps more to the point, how do we honor what is our service and that it has value, whether public or private. I watched Piers Morgan interview Oprah Winfrey on CNN last night. I like him. I like his service. And I admire the core of Oprah's life of service. She is quite good at acknowledging her service, honoring why she is here on the planet.
Jack Reuler, founder of the Mixed Blood Theater here in Minneapolis, spoke with such energy and reverence about Dr. King on Sunday. He reflected on their shared history as Unitarians and about the principles he shares with Dr. King. He founded the theater on U.U. principles, with a passion for Dr. King and his vision as well. He recited passages from Dr. King's speeches that I had never heard before and that struck me with new awareness of his brilliance; not a perfect man, Dr. King, but a man of legendary service. This was the first message I've seen receive a standing ovation in this church.

Unitarian Universalists are by their very nature people of service through social justice. I am not a traditional U.U. person, but I can appreciate their service while offering and honoring my own contributions. I honor equally the service of each person who raises a child in love, who cooks with reverence for the gifts of Earth, who meditates, who breathes for the planet, who takes care and offers solace to another human being, who asks the hard questions, who contributes to Habitat for Humanity, who brings mittens for the hands of a cold child, who prays, who stands in non-violent demonstration, who serves in uniform. I honor the dreamers and those who bring the dreams into substance. Understanding them all is not my job, but honoring the service expands the good it does, the effect it can have.

Last night, as I found myself surprised that I had not mentioned Dr. King in my post yesterday, I realized that when I think of Mohandas Gandhi, and I do so often, I also think of Dr. King. Such different leaders, but each leaders of people who are forever changed by their vision and having an impact on the Consciousness beyond what we can understand. They do not stand alone, but they do stand tall. So do we all, each in our own way, as we serve.

Honoring, each of us, the manner in which we serve has the effect of exponentially expanding the energy of that service. We can serve with self-deprecation. It is still service. We can also, without ego, serve and honor the service and ourselves, thus expanding the effect of the contribution. Consciousness expands when we respect the Creation that is us; you and me, public or private, honoring what the Creator invested in us.

The heroes among us may not be visible, at least not until they touch our lives and change us in that moment, that day. Whether it be the kind and helpful clerk, the neighbor who reaches out, the thoughtful driver, the pilot who saves hundreds of lives, the friend who makes the extra phone call, the person who prays, or the leader who gives us hope, I honor each of us in service today. We are agents of change. Let us take a deep breath and honor ourselves.

Breathing and Honoring,
I am Phyllis, still Becoming

No comments: