Thursday, January 6, 2011

Holy Days

Greetings on this 12th Day of Christmas!

Throughout this 6th day of January I've been reflecting on this 12th Day of Christmas and on the 12th Night celebrations that are traditional in many areas of Christian faith. I am also struck by the attacks against people of the Coptic faith, in Egypt, and the concern of Coptic leaders in other parts of the world.

Most of you know I am not a traditional Christian. I love Christ and my relationship with him is intimate and fulfilling. What Christianity has done to his legacy with dogma and restrictive law has bothered me since I was 20 and searching for my own truth and a comfortable place to express it.

What I have learned of the Coptic religion has fascinated me, and although I do not choose to practice their faith, I respect the roots of Coptic faith and know that my soul is connected there, just as I know I'm related to the Knights Templar, to the Masons and to the Anasazi.

I've been in this reflective place for some time, and I know tonight that the reason is that I have been place-holding the holy days of several Christian denominations. Today marks Epiphany, which has such a complicated history and mythology that I won't even explore it here. But it has meaning for a lot of folks, so it is part of our Consciousness, as is the Coptic Christmas celebration tomorrow (Friday).

The crimes we commit against one another in the name of religion hurt me deeply; more today than I have ever felt before. So I hold in the Sacred today all the people of faith who stand and profess their faith, whatever price they must pay for it. Whether Jewish or Christian, Muslim or Buddhist. Whether a person practices faith in a Cathedral, a Mandir, a Mosque, a Temple, or a Sweat Lodge, or sits in a tree to meditate, I honor all people who seek Inner Wisdom and comfort in something that feels too big to understand.

Speaking of seeking, the collective dream group is growing! The name I've chosen is The Dream Team, and we will gather in our dream state for the first time on the 30th, with intention to meet monthly on the last Sunday night of each month.

I haven't worked out all the technology for the chat venue yet, but realize all I need do is surrender it and approach it again next week when I am back from a weekend with my wonderful church family in Duluth.

Until next time,
I am Phyllis, still Becoming

No comments: