Monday, April 19, 2010

Time Out

Greetings in Gratitude!

My thanks to two friends who have (at least) two things in common with me: they are in service work, and they face the consequences of depletion.

In so many instances when depletion is the subject, System reports that we have learned to rely on vacations to renew ourselves - and that this method simply is not sufficient to replace the loss of life force, depleted in the course of our busy lives. A vacation parades in front of us a remedy, then we wonder why we need time off to recover from the vacation. We dream a vacation, we plan a vacation, we take a vacation in the hopes of achieving what a whole year, perhaps, has cost us.

I do want to acknowledge that each of us faces our own unique lifestyles. Some of you have children, some have a 40-hour work week (many have both), and extended family, friends and community often deserve attention as well. Life gets in the way of renewal, doesn't it?

We find lots of reasons to explain our states of depletion - and to excuse our lack of attention. No one knows this on a very practical level better than I do. Many years of sacrificing myself left me with so many symptoms. I'm not going to bore you with all of them here, just know that I've spent the past 18 months learning, surrendering, receiving, renewing, learning more and surrendering again. When I've thought I could not surrender any further, System has prompted me again, and yet again. Thank God for symptoms and guidance.

In a recent post I shared counsel regarding the choices we make. Wisdom reports that when we choose for ourselves, doing the best we can in our current knowing, our choices are always inclusive of others. We cannot choose against the purpose of another person or situation.

But don't we spend a lot of time feeling depleted, yet telling ourselves - and anyone else who will listen - that we simply have no time available to "do the right thing" for ourselves?
Others need us, job demands make it impossible. Or maybe you find yourself in this category: the person who takes a step in the direction of renewal, then justifies that it's enough; ignoring what else the system might need.

If this is making you uncomfortable, know that I'm not judging anyone. No one is judging you. Your System is not criticizing or accusing you. On the contrary, your System knows what you need and must continue to reveal symptoms to get your attention. Aching for a vacation is one symptom. Dreaming about a job that is not so stressful is another. A hunger you can't quench is another. So many symptoms, such a persistent System. And if you are uncomfortable, could it simply be another symptom?

In a true state of surrender/renewal, we do nothing. Nothing means nothing. Just breathing and surrendering to allow energy to renew us - for whatever time we can give it and being grateful/open for the perfection of it. I recline, breathe, and open myself to receive. I remain there until System prompts me to get up and take care of other things. Renewed, I have energy for whatever needs doing. It is not too late for any of us. We are in an inspired time of knowing more of ourselves than ever before in human history; a time of consciously becoming.

I am grateful again to Richard Bach for this: "We teach best what we most need to learn."

Until next time,
Phyllis, Still Becoming

No comments: