Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Goals, not Structures

Hello, again!


Still locating myself here at home after a wonderful Sunday with my church family in Duluth.  Yesterday I heard, "Goals, not structures," and it set me to feeling into, again, the way I have been learning to live my life recently.


I've written here about this before, so I won't go into all the layers, but it must be worth more attention or I would not have heard it so clearly. 


I'll use my weight loss history as an example because it comes up so clearly as an experience that fits this:  Since I was 11 and feeling too "big," I've obsessed about my weight.  And whenever I've set about losing weight, I've set a mental goal and then programmed myself, structured my patterns, to insure I lost the pounds as quickly as possible.  It made sense then.  But not now.


I learned more about healthy weight loss during the time I lectured Weight Watchers classes for 7 years, but still I structured my eating habits and exercise to fit a schedule that would bring me as quickly to my goal as I could manage.  Every weight loss program I have ever known is based on these structures.  They do not teach us to trust ourselves first.


Since beginning my new program of exercise and weight loss in October, I realize that the patterns of living my life intuitively can work for this as well.  Letting go of the old structures, though, is certainly a learning curve I've never traveled before.  


My goal this time around, at age 70, is to become a strong old woman.  I do not feel old now, but given my genes I probably can expect a long life if I become strong and healthier.  


Setting this goal, I find myself growing stronger intuitively as well. I honor what my Internal Physician tells me to do about my heart, not taking medications but instead trusting my Wisdom to inform me what serves me better.  Hand in hand with that, I find my I.P. telling me what and when to eat as well; when to work out and for how long.  Listening, I am surrendering to that wise inner voice that knows exactly what rhythm works best for me.  


It means, sometimes, breaking old rules and breathing to allow myself that freedom.  Is my System asking for a nap?  No rules.  Hungry? Breathing, an action is a response, not a reaction. Most often I observe myself, curious about this process, and celebrating that whatever the rhythm, I will meet my goals.  Breathing, I will achieve strength and fitness.


These principles can work, whatever goals you set for yourself and bring you the ease I am beginning to really enjoy these days.  Our Wisdom will always carry us along as we allow it.  We have not been taught to trust that Wisdom, but it is infallible.  Yes, it is.  It is up to each of us to practice the surrender to enjoy it.


Breathing & Knowing with you,
I am Phyllis/PhylEl



No comments: