Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Curtain-Turning and Support Systems

Greetings to You and Winter!

Support Systems are on my mind this week, especially since a major curtain-turning incident over the weekend.

And now with new perspective from my sister's life, I'm really inspired to share it with you. An unexpected and perfect experience filled Judith's life yesterday. A friend from her study group was in physical crisis, and Judith became his support system, driving him to the hospital and calling his family to notify them of his situation. She was so grateful to realize the presence of his wife who passed several years ago, guiding Judith, comforting her husband and obviously providing the Support System they both needed.

What amazing design kaleidoscopically turns and falls into place to create such an opportunity for serving and being served? It's a curious and spectacular plan, isn't it? Judith was willing to serve; she was also open and willing to accept the help that was available. Balance.

Where do we serve and where are we served? What service of yours is so precious as this? I hope you appreciate what you offer others, whether it seems significant to you at the time.

God says, "You are here to learn yourself, and hopefully to learn to love yourself along the way." How are we to learn to love ourselves unless we can appreciate the value of our service?
Considering this, I breathe deeply to feel the exchange I've had with a person or in a situation where I am grateful to have served. I'm getting better at it, yet we all need more practice.

I've probably shared with you my curtain-turning experience, but if you haven't read the earlier blog entry, I'll share it again: About two years ago I noticed the pretty edge of the heavy, cotton lace panel in my bedroom turned. It was clearly not the way I had hung it. I turned it back - only to find it generously turned again soon afterward. I usually find the turning in the morning, but just to make sure I'd believe it, once it was turned so far outward while I was in the shower that I couldn't argue anymore. When I get the message I sometimes have found it returned to its natural position. Those in Spirit who love me use it to make a statement.

My first reaction was, what am I doing wrong, or what am I not doing. Over time I've realized that the message if simply and clearly a statement of support. When I am most in need, the curtain is turned. On Friday it was turned again, and the message was so clear: "We are your Support System." Strong encouragement to lean into that System comforts me and reminds me that I need more practice asking for help to support everything I do.

We all have Support Systems. And the support we offer others is not to be handled alone. The challenge and the blessing is to breathe deeply into the All That Is, ask for help, then open fully to receive the awesome support always there to partner with us - in whatever we do.

Until next time,
I am Phyllis, still Becoming

No comments: