Friday, October 22, 2010

Conscience and Consciousness

Greetings in Gratitude!

Let's start with the globe that came bouncing across the I35 bridge at me yesterday as I was driving Mom to the U. of M. Hospitals for her 4-year oncology checkup. (All is clear, and we are so grateful) I had to swerve to avoid this globe, and because I believe all experience is synchronisitic, (by the way, I know that's not a word) I first thought, "I wonder what that means?"

I'm going to assume its most direct message and focus additional attention on Earth; making myself more available to messages that help me help our planet - and that I can share with you so that we multiply our effect for our home. And now I know, there is more to share.

We simply have no idea to what extent we can help one another and the planet. Oh, yes, we see the effect in an act of kindness, or how we connect with a client, a neighbor, a friend; we know in obvious, physical actions, and we are told that somehow our breathing supports Mother Earth's labor. But the exponential effect of each act, each thought, each breath is beyond human understanding.

A woman I've known for many years takes so seriously the effect her life has on others that she hardly draws an easy breath, concerned as she is that she is not doing enough. That is not my assignment this lifetime, but I am prone to assuming more responsibility than is mine. I sometimes have to remind myself to breathe and release association with issues that are simply not mine to manage. So I know what it is to over-commit, and I know what it is to live the internal life that seems self-centered.

Recently I've talked with a number of parents whose young adult children seem to be living selfishly. This is not new behavior. Read quotes from pundits throughout years and we see evidence that young people have always been accused of selfishness. The young live internally, developing personalities we hope will prove their upbringing. It's typical of this stage that they demonstrate less care and concern for others - especially parents - and focus energy on building an independent life in which they can feel secure on their own. We can only trust what we have taught them, surrender - and look forward to grandchildren.

Service to others is a sign of maturation. Some show it earlier than others, but then there are those who seem never to "get it." The Unitarian Universalist church we attend is a community of social conscience. If you ever run out of ideas for service, a U.U. church will provide the impetus. My dear church in Duluth, though much smaller in numbers, also has a big heart for service and shows its maturation in community outreach.

We are a human community with lots of opportunities to serve. Earth needs us. There are those obvious ways we serve Earth; recycling, reducing our human footprint, seeking alternative power sources, etc.. All of these and more serve our planet in social action. Calling to me again today are the contributions we can make to the planet through the less obvious but always vibrant Consciousness.

We can make a difference by expressing our gratitude for the day, for a sunrise or sunset, for the delight of a rainbow. We can expand Consciousness by meditating on the Earth as the mother in labor, breathing and feeling the joy of a vibrant life, inviting conversation by commenting on the beauty we see and the abundance we enjoy. In each of these and so many others, we speak to Earth, exponentially expand Consciousness, and support Earth in our evolution.

Writing this, I now know the why and what of the globe. Thanks so much to each of you who joins with me in this blog. Knowing you are there inspires a deeper discovery, and I learn along with you as each post develops.

Thank you, Mother Earth, for your service. As we evolve out of our internal, immature life, we each know our parts better and reach out to serve you in turn.

Joined with all of you in service,
I am Phyllis, still Becoming

No comments: