Thursday, December 17, 2015

Grieving Part II

Good Morning!

A follow-up to yesterday's post, to report that deep crying is very good medicine.  Yes, I took my homework seriously, and some deep crying yesterday really lightened my load.

Do you also observe that logic can get in the way of a good cry?  While I was terribly hurt for my nephew, who lost his dear furry friend in tragic incident, my head got in the way of deep grieving. After a short cry, I carried the grief until our angels prompted us yesterday.  Then the waves of grief came up. I not only grieved for my nephew but also for other situations I had only briefly touched.

Sometimes my head tells me that I don't need to indulge myself in crying or shouting.  Sometimes when prayer or deep breathing is the way I choose to support a person or situation I put aside the grief that tries to rise to the top.  And there are times when I've cried deeply about something over time, I feel like it's too much to cry even one more time.

Whenever I substitute any alternative to deep grieving the weight of it haunts me.  As the angels reminded us, depression is always the result of suppressed emotion.

This reminds me of our friend, Barbara, who lived her last two years in a state of joy.  Maybe it's more accurate to say that her final stage of life was emotionally spontaneous.  Because, while her joy was authentic, when she felt sad she simply burst into tearsBarbara lived in Wholeness.  She taught us so much and continues to enrich our lives. Thank you, Barbara.

Crying deeply means letting it all hang out.  I've cried a lot in this life, but often it has been what I call "sideways" crying. The tears leak out, I feel deeply sad, and I go on with my day - as if I have grieved.

So I've gone on about this as long as needed.  Life is good. Grieving is as natural to life as is dying.  Amen.

Phyl-EL

 

No comments: