Saturday, November 19, 2016

On Reflection...

Hello!

Earlier this evening I posted on Facebook, and trying to be brief, was not as clear as I intended.

My intention is to delete my connection with those who persist in sustaining the conflict resulting from our recent election.  I value my FB relationship with friends and family who delight me with posts about their lives, so I choose to remain on FB.

I really do get the need to express the grief and outrage.  I am simply not willing to participate by remaining connected on FB with those who feel the need to use FB as a political forum.  I don't want the energy of it to be on my wall, so I'll delete, "unfriend," those who feel the need to relieve themselves, which I believe contributes to the divisiveness. Some of these are people I love, so I don't so this lightly.  I join with others who seek to achieve peace; not passively, but with intentional purpose to contribute to balance.  

We have a real need to express our emotions.  I'm reminded of guidance offered a client many years ago:  the woman was involved in a relationship with a man who was committed to another person. She was cautioned, if she chose to continue the relationship, not to allow him to use her time with him to vent about his partner.  The crux of it was that he would never be motivated to face the condition of his partnership if all his angst could be vented outside that relationship.  The client realized how she had been enabling him, thus perpetuating this untenable situation.

Will we remain the observers, venting on Facebook, or will we realize that we are all now positioned perfectly to cease being  passive citizens, taking a forward position to make the difference.  As one friend posted: "Be the change you want to see."

With respect,
Phyl-EL

No comments: